Hands on action!
What we do ongoing
As we advise clients to reduce their carbon footprint in a 3-step process, we apply the same steps to Pangolin Associates. We are committed to the following.
- Measuring our carbon footprint annually
- Implementing eco friendly processes and policies to reduce our impact on the environment
- Offsetting greenhouse gases (GHG) we cannot reduce or prevent
Here are some of our sustainability initiatives:
Annual carbon assessment
At Pangolin Associates we measure our carbon footprint annually. It is critical for all businesses to understand the size of their carbon footprint, as well as how to reduce it.
Eco friendly workplace
- We actively discourage paper consumption. We use online systems and deliver documents and reports in PDF format.
- We use iPads for one on one presentations instead of paper based reports, or more energy intensive laptops. For larger presentations we request no printing of notes, rather emailed upon request.
- When we must print, we use duplex printers using paper with a high recycled content. We also recycle all toner cartridges and wasted paper.
- We request clients and suppliers to scan and email communications in preference to faxing or posting. We receive faxes electronically.
- All office equipment is turned off when not in use.
- We encourage work from home to reduce our transport footprint and resources used. Most of our team has already invested in solar power at home.
- We have installed 120 solar photovoltaic (PV) panels at our Adelaide location, along with energy efficient lighting, and energy monitoring of the HVAC system.
- We are a participating member of CitySwitch Green Office, a program designed to lower energy consumption in commercial buildings.
- Waste is kept to a minimum. We select products and materials that can be recycled.
- We go out of our way to recycle materials that cannot go into the recycle bin, such as toner cartridges and batteries.
- We also select products based on social benefits, such as Fairtrade coffee.
Supply chain policy
- At Pangolin we select our suppliers based on environmental and ethical credentials, not just price and service. Prospective suppliers must complete a questionnaire regarding sustainability measures taken to date and planned for future. Contact us for a copy of the questionnaire.
Transport and travel
- For local journeys we encourage our staff to use public transport or cycle as much as possible.
- We also encourage staff to select from a range of fuel efficient vehicles, which they have done.
- We actively discourage business flights and use teleconferencing for meetings. If we need to travel by air, we offset each flight with certified carbon credits.
- Where flights are undertaken, we choose economy travel for its smaller impact on the environment.
Offsetting with carbon credits
- Pangolin’s business carbon footprint is offset annually with certified carbon credits.
- Additionally, our four directors fully offset their per capita emissions of 28 tonnes each financial year. They also offset personal air travel.
Pangolin Associates is a founding Australian member of B Corp.
B Corp certification is a rigorous assessment of social and environmental practices. This is a global, voluntary initiative promoting higher standards of accountability and transparency.
We support a few organisations we think are doing important work for our Planet:
- Trees For Life is a not for profit organisation focused on reforestation for carbon sequestration and habitat. View our contribution: 2011-2013, (PDF, 139 KB).
- Cancer Council NSW
- Médicins Sans Frontièrs (Doctors Without Borders) is an independent medical humanitarian action organisation.
- Trees Please! is a South Australian organisation protecting and reclaiming native bushland.
- Save Pangolins works to save pangolins from unsustainable trade and other threats. We chose this animal because it is threatened, and it is our namesake.
- Our Backyard SA is an initiative of the Conservation Council of South Australia.
- Books for Kenya is a not for profit organisation focused on supporting a number of orphans and assisting education of school children in rural Kenya.