What we do ongoing
As we advise clients to reduce their carbon footprint in a 3-step process, we apply the same steps to Pangolin Associates. We are committed to the following.
- Measuring our carbon footprint annually,
- Implementing eco friendly processes and policies to reduce our impact on the environment,
- Offsetting greenhouse gases (GHG) we cannot reduce or prevent.
Climate Active: Australian Government endorsed carbon neutral certification
Pangolin Associates is certified carbon neutral organisation under Climate Active. We have helped many organisations with this process, and have gone through the steps ourselves. In FY2017/18, we expanded our certification to cover our consulting, advisory and auditing services.
We were proudly the first to achieve certification in our sector.
- See our Public Disclosure Statements on the Climate Active website.
- Read the Pangolin Associates case study on the Climate Active website.
Annual carbon assessment
At Pangolin Associates we measure our carbon footprint annually. It is critical for all businesses to understand the size of their carbon footprint, as well as how to reduce it. See an extract from one of our own reports (PDF, 2 Mb).
1% for the Planet
Pangolin is a business member of 1% for the Planet.
This is a global entity that exists to ensure our planet and future generations thrive. To date, 1% for the Planet has directed hundreds of millions of dollars to non profit organisations globally. These funds come from individuals and businesses that, like Pangolin, donate 1% of gross sales to support environmental organisations.
As always, we also commit to ongoing environmental stewardship through our everyday actions and business practices. Find us on 1% For the Planet.
Pangolin Associates is a founding Australian member of B Corp and has proudly made the 2015 ‘B Corp Best for the Environment’ list’. B Corp certification is a rigorous assessment of social and environmental practices. This is a global, voluntary initiative promoting higher standards of accountability and transparency. Read about Pangolin on B Corp.
Our team assists other businesses succeed with B Corp’s environmental component. We help applicants with initial certification, and existing members achieve a higher score on reassessments.
Eco friendly workplace
- We actively discourage paper consumption. We use online systems and deliver documents and reports in PDF format.
- We use iPads for one on one presentations instead of paper based reports, or more energy intensive laptops. For larger presentations we request no printing of notes, rather emailed upon request.
- When we must print, we use duplex printers and paper with a high recycled content. We choose Climate Active (NCOS)-certified carbon neutral paper. We also recycle all toner cartridges and wasted paper.
- We request that clients, partners and suppliers scan and email communications in lieu of faxing or posting. We do not list a fax number to further discourage paper use.
- All office equipment is turned off when not in use.
- We have installed 120 solar photovoltaic (PV) panels at our Adelaide location, along with energy efficient lighting, and energy monitoring of the HVAC system.
- Our Sydney office has LED lighting with motion sensors.
- We are a participating member of CitySwitch Green Office, a program designed to lower energy consumption in commercial buildings.
- We encourage work from home to reduce our transport footprint and resources used. Most of our team, and all four directors, have invested in solar power at home, as well as energy efficient appliances and lighting.
- Waste is kept to a minimum. We select products and materials that can be recycled.
- We go out of our way to recycle materials that cannot go into the recycle bin, such as toner cartridges, mobile phones and batteries.
- We also select products based on social benefits, such as Fairtrade coffee.
Suppliers and supply chain policy
- At Pangolin we select our suppliers based on environmental and ethical credentials, not just price and service. Prospective suppliers must complete a questionnaire regarding sustainability measures taken to date and planned for future. Contact us for a copy of the questionnaire.
- As much as possible we select B Corp suppliers for their overall ethical and environmentally sound business practices. We select Australian Ethical Super as the default fund for our staff. Like Pangolin, Australian Ethical is a founding B Corp member in Australia (see more on B Corp).
Transport and travel
- For local journeys we encourage our staff to use public transport or cycle as much as possible.
- We also encourage staff to select from a range of fuel efficient vehicles, which they have done. Two of our Founding Directors drive Plug In Electric Vehicles (PHEV).
- We actively discourage business flights and use teleconferencing for meetings. If we need to travel by air, we offset each flight with certified carbon credits.
- Where flights are undertaken, we choose economy travel for its smaller impact on the environment.
Offsetting with carbon credits
- Pangolin’s business carbon footprint is offset annually with certified carbon credits.
- Additionally, our four directors fully offset their per capita emissions of 28 tonnes each financial year. They also offset personal air travel.
- Business carbon footprint APX Registry:
- Per capita carbon credits on the APX Registry:
FY 2010/2011, 2011/2012 and 2012/2013
Pangolin Associates has a zero tolerance policy for violence against all individuals in the workplace, and the broader community. We also support a few organisations we think are doing important work for our Planet:
Greenfleet Australia is a not-for-profit organisation that protects the climate through reforestation.
Climate Council of Australia is an independent voice on climate change made up of climate scientists, health, renewable energy and policy experts, volunteers and supporters.
Australian Marine Conservation Society is an independent charity made up of scientists, educators and advocates working to protect critical ocean ecosystems with marine reserves.
Bush Heritage Australia is an independent not-for-profit organisation that buys and manages land and works in partnerships with others to conserve and protect the environment and native species.
Seed Indigenous Youth Climate Network is a movement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people for climate justice.
Médicins Sans Frontièrs (Doctors Without Borders) is an independent medical humanitarian action organisation.
Trees For Life is a not for profit organisation focused on reforestation for carbon sequestration and habitat.
Trees Please! is a South Australian organisation protecting and reclaiming native bushland.
African Pangolin Working Group is an organisation focussed on the conservation of Africa’s pangolins through research, engagement with law enforcement and judiciary agencies.